Summertime is the perfect excuse to get creative and take your workout outdoors. Kick up the intensity with a stair-focused sweat session! Here’s the first of four exercises we’ll be sharing to supplement cardio intervals for a challenging, fun workout that can be done pretty much anywhere, no equipment required! Incorporate one set of this exercise between sets of stair running. Modify the workout for your abilities by increasing or decreasing the intensity – a simple way to achieve this would be running up either every step or making it more challenging by skipping steps. Increase the number of flights you run over time to progress as you get stronger.
Equipment Needed: Stairs
Muscle Groups: Glutes, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Calves
How to Perform:
- Begin in a deep squat position at the bottom of the stairs, use your arms to provide momentum and jump up two steps.
- Landing heel-to-toe to cushion the impact as you return into a deep squat.
- Jump up one flight of stairs and jog back down to repeat!
Make it Easier
- Option to hold onto the railing for additional stability
- Begin hopping up just one step at a time
- Squat walk up the stairs.
Visit our website for our personal trainer bios and information on fitness program designs and individual and group personal training.
by Megan Denholm
Megan is a Bachelor of Kinesiology graduate from the University of Alberta. She is a CSEP-CPT certified Exercise Specialist and Programmer with the MacEwan University Sport and Wellness fitness team.