Home » University News

Update from the Acting President to the MacEwan University community

On May 4, 104 of our colleagues across the university were notified that they will be required to take a temporary leave without pay in response to the COVID-19 budget impacts. This is never easy news to deliver.

As I noted last week in my message regarding Alberta’s relaunch strategy, the COVID-19 situation continues to impact our operations and revenue streams as services on campus remain reduced or closed. It is anticipated that the strategy will be phased in over several weeks or months, and, unfortunately, these leave without pay notifications are still necessary as the province considers the first stage of the strategy.

I want to emphasize that employees on temporary leave without pay remain as MacEwan University employees with access to benefits, services and email. We are closely monitoring the provincial relaunch strategy and will call those on leave without pay back to work as we restore specific operations under the direction of the public health authority.

Again, this is difficult news and, as I have committed, I will continue to provide you with updates as we move forward through the budget process and through the university’s COVID-19 relaunch plans.

If you have questions about the budget, you can email them to president@macewan.ca or submit them using the anonymous MacEwan University – Budget Update Questions form. MyPortal will be updated with responses to your questions.

As always, please be well and be safe.

Sincerely,

John McGrath
Acting President