Home » University News

Mitchell Art Gallery: Writing From Here II

In partnership with Latitude 53, the Mitchell Art Gallery has commissioned a series of personal letters by and for emergent artists in Edmonton. The purpose of these letters is to explore the critical issues of community, connection, and artists’ relationships to both from local, personal and interpersonal viewpoints. Letters will be released as they are written and responded to in real time.

The initial intention was for the invited artists to share ideas with each other, and generously allow us to read and listen as they reflect on the intertwining ideas between even the birds are walking, curated by Noor Bhangu, Grasping at the Roots, curated by Christina Battle, and more. With the outbreak of COVID-19 and the need for social distancing, community and connection are more needed than ever and the project has continued to expand. In Writing From Here II each artist will extend an invitation to a community member to write a letter so we can expand the sharing of ideas, as we all process ways to nurture connection at a physical distance. The latest invitation letter, as well as previous entries in the series, can be read at WritingFromHere.ca.