Home » Student News

Griffins’ weekend review: Hockey beats Concordia

Buoyed by a hot goaltender, growing confidence and a nothing-to-lose attitude, the underdog Concordia Thunder threw a scare into the three-time defending Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference champion MacEwan Griffins on Sunday afternoon.

They almost did more than that, nearly pulling off one of the biggest upsets in recent ACAC men’s hockey history.

But the Griffins found a way, recovering from two different deficits to defeat the Thunder 4-2 in a do-or-die Game 3 and win the quarter-final series 2-1.

Read the full story here

“We faced a lot of adversity in a number of different ways in this series,” said Griffins head coach Mike Ringrose. “We’ve got a young group and we needed to learn how to win in the playoffs. I think we’re going to be better for it moving forward. We certainly did learn how to win.

“Those were hotly-contested games and Concordia played a hell of a series. They were well prepped, they executed well, and they worked exceptionally hard and pushed our guys. It challenged us and, in the end, I truly believe we’ll be better for it.”

Andrew Kartusch came up huge again for the Griffins, netting his second game-winner of the series when he ripped a shot off the post and in with just 6:52 remaining.

He also netted the winner in Game 1’s 4-1 triumph.

MacEwan advance to meet Red Deer College in the ACAC semifinals – a best-of-three series going Friday in Red Deer (7 p.m.), Saturday in Edmonton (6 p.m., Downtown Community Arena) and Sunday, if necessary, in Red Deer (5 p.m.).