Home » Student News

Griffins’ weekend review: WVB playoffs

There might not be a roller-coaster ride on the planet that could keep up with the crazy highs and lows on display in the Canada West women’s volleyball quarter-final action at the David Atkinson Gym on Friday night.

Among the momentum swings were an 11-1 run for the Thompson Rivers University WolfPack to close out set two, followed by a 17-3 trot for the MacEwan Griffins to dominate set four.

In the end, the biggest high of all belonged to the visiting WolfPack, who managed to right the ship with a terrific fifth set for a 3-2 win (25-13, 25-21, 22-25, 18-25, 15-8) eliminating the Griffins from the playoffs.

Read the full playoff recap here.

“It’s been a great year,” said MacEwan head coach Ken Briggs, whose team qualified for the playoffs for the first time after a 17-7 season. “We’re going to regret it later because you only get so many kicks at the can. This team’s special because they set a new standard.”

Three days after their season came to an end, the Griffins received another program first when Haley Gilfillan was named to the Canada West first all-star team on Tuesday. It’s the first time a MacEwan women’s volleyball player has been named a Canada West all-star.

Read more about Haley Gilfillan here.

“She’s our leader,” said Briggs. “To be recognized and be on the first team is great because she’s being recognized by the rest of the league. There can be no better recommendation than that of your peers.”