Home » Student News

Griffins’ weekend wrap: New career goals leader

Shyla Jans broke the program career goals mark in recording a hat-trick on Saturday night that led the MacEwan Griffins to a 6-1 win over the SAIT Trojans in Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference women’s hockey action.

Jans now has 36 career goals, passing Colleen Gamache, who scored 34 in two dominant seasons from 2002-04.

The fifth-year senior forward also added two assists for a five-point night that pushes her program career points leading mark to 70.

Read the full story here.

“She was outstanding from puck drop,” said MacEwan head coach Lindsay McAlpine. “She came to play tonight and was rewarded for it. We know that’s a strength of Janny’s game. She’s an offensive player and just put herself in the right spot today. Her, Jill MacWilliam and (Jayme) Doyle’s line had great chemistry.”

After Morgan Casson opened the scoring on the power play at 13:58 of the first period, Jans scored two goals within 11 seconds early in the second to break the record and put the Griffins up 3-0. She added her hat trick goal in the third period.

The win was the Griffins’ 10th in a row and pushes their ACAC-leading record to 17-3-0-0. They will visit Olds (4-13-3-0) on Thursday (7 p.m.) and host them Saturday (6 p.m., Downtown Community Arena).