Home » University News

University response to 2019 Novel coronavirus (Wuhan, China)

On January 27, public health officials in Ontario announced Canada’s second presumptive confirmed case of the coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that first was identified in Wuhan, China. At this time, the World Health Organization has not determined that the coronavirus outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern.

The university is monitoring the developing situation for any new updates or recommendations posted by the Public Health Agency of Canada and Alberta Health Services. If necessary, the university will activate its Integrated Emergency Management Plan, which includes response to communicable disease.

There are currently no MacEwan students or employees in China on university travel. However, if you are returning from the Wuhan area on a personal trip, or know of anyone in the same situation, consider the following recommendations:

• Closely monitor your health for at least 14 days.
  • If you have symptoms, avoid contact with others and contact Alberta Health Services Health Link (call 811) https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
  • If symptoms persist or get worse, seek medical care. Prior to visiting your healthcare provider in person, inform them about your symptoms and recent travel.

Prevention measures are similar to those utilized against the common cold and flu. These everyday habits can help prevent the spread of several viruses.

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Don’t share food and drinks.
  • Stay home when you are sick. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

For more information:

About the coronavirus (symptoms, background, news):

Personal health-related inquiries:

Contact your family doctor or Alberta Health Services Health Link: Call 811

Travel guidance/advice:

Non-health related inquiries:

MacEwan’s Health, Safety and Environment Office at HSE@macewan.ca