Home » Student News

MacEwan Griffins’ weekend wrap-up

Women’s Volleyball: Griffins score first regular season win over rival Pandas

Hailey Cornelis sent an over-bump to the floor and the MacEwan Griffins poured off the bench to celebrate a landmark result last Friday night.

For the first time since joining Canada West in 2014, MacEwan defeated cross-town rival Alberta in a regular season women’s volleyball match, taking down the Pandas 3-1 in the David Atkinson Gym (25-20, 23-25, 25-16, 26-24).

“It’s really, really big,” said Lauren Holmes, who led the Griffins with a match-high 20 kills. “I know a lot of the girls on the other side of the court, so it’s always fun playing against them, but we’ve never been on the winning side of that situation. So, it feels really good.”

Read the full story

Men’s Hockey: Daigle sensational as 41-save effort leads Griffins past Thunder

Marc-Olivier Daigle saved the day with 41 stops in a dazzling performance as the MacEwan Griffins scored a 5-2 win over Concordia on Saturday at the Downtown Community Arena to complete a weekend sweep of their cross-town rivals.

They also beat them 9-1 on Friday and have won four in a row, improving to 13-5-0-0 while dropping the Thunder to 7-9-1-1 in the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference men’s hockey standings.

“As a team, we put 14 goals (on the weekend) in the back of the net, which gives us a great chance to win,” said Daigle. “We knew they were going to come out hard and we were able to weather the storm. It’s good to get those four points this weekend; we are in a battle until the end here, so those are points we can’t drop.”

Read the full story