Home » Student News

Griffins’ Saturday review: MHKY tops RDC in double OT

Submitted by on 2020/01/14 – 4:26 pm

EDMONTON – Just 23 seconds into a three-on-three double overtime period on Saturday, Jordan Taupert played hero for the MacEwan Griffins men’s hockey team.

The rookie forward from Beaumont roofed a rebound in tight past Red Deer College goaltender Nathan Alalouf to give the Griffins a 4-3 victory in Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference action at the Downtown Community Arena.

“I thought we deserved the four points all weekend,” said Taupert. “It was nice to bury that one and get the win.”

Read the full story here

The result gave the Griffins a weekend sweep over their rivals and pushed their record to 11-5-0-0, just four points shy of the Kings (12-2-2-0) for second place in the ACAC standings.

“These points were crucial against a very good Red Deer team,” said interim head coach Sean Ringrose. “We are really proud of our guys’ effort this weekend; they battled all weekend and it showed in us getting four points.”

MacEwan also beat the Kings on Friday, triumphing 4-2 in Red Deer.

The Griffins will look to continue their winning ways when they visit Concordia on Friday (7 p.m., Clareview Arena, ACAC TV) and then host the Thunder on Saturday (6 p.m., Downtown Community Arena, ACAC TV).