Home » Student News

Griffins’ Friday review: WVB beats UBC 3-0

Submitted by on 2020/01/14 – 4:23 pm

EDMONTON – Crediting strong preparation for a dramatic turnaround in hitting efficiency from a weekend ago when she struggled against Saskatchewan, MacEwan outside hitter Carly Weber turned in a huge performance as the Griffins crushed the UBC Thunderbirds in straight sets Friday night.

Weber was a difference-maker all over the court – producing a game-high 11 kills on .320 efficiency from the right side, while adding five blocks and two aces as the Griffins wrapped up the match rather quickly (25-15, 25-19, 25-13).

MacEwan also defeated UBC 3-1 on Saturday night and have improved to 11-5 in the Canada West standings.

Read the full story here

“We had a good video session and I knew what I was blocking at all times,” said Weber, a fourth-year outside hitter from Toronto, who accounted for every set point in Friday’s match. “(Offensively), I was confident and that was all to do with Kylie (Schubert) getting me single blocks. She ran the offence really well.”

Setter Schubert, the reigning U SPORTS female athlete of the week, had 26 assists, adding two of MacEwan’s 10 aces. Leading in that department was Lauren Holmes with four as the Griffins put the Thunderbirds out of system for much of the match.

While the Griffins struck at .308 team efficiency, head coach Ken Briggs was proudest of the team blocks statistic (14.0 to 4.0) in favour of the Griffins.

“Our defence and preparation was exactly (what we needed),” he said. “It was still the serve, serve-receive game. We put them in trouble and that really eliminates their middles.”

The Griffins will host cross-town rival Alberta on Friday (6 p.m.) and Saturday (7:30 p.m., Canada West TV presented by Co-op).