Home » University News

Network drives are going away

As part of the university’s cost-cutting measures, MacEwan will be taking advantage of Microsoft storage and migrating files from our local networks. Files stored on your personal drive (e.g., M drive) will be moved to OneDrive and faculty/staff department drives will be moved to SharePoint.

Personal drives
Deadline: January 31, 2020

Files stored in personal drives will automatically be migrated to OneDrive. This process will begin on January 27 and is scheduled to be completed by January 31. During this time, you will not be able to make any changes to files on the network drive. Users are encouraged to move their files themselves before January 27 using these instructions. This would also be a good time to move files from your computer to OneDrive.

Department drives
Deadline: March 6, 2020

Shared department drives across all academic, business and administrative areas will transition to SharePoint over the Winter term. The file transfer will be managed by Information and Technology Services, in consultation with departments. The project team is currently working on the strategy details to ensure a smooth transition of department folders and files.

Mark your calendar and attend one of our information sessions:

• Tuesday, January 21, 10–11 a.m.
  • Tuesday, January 21, 2–3 p.m.
  • Tuesday, January 28, 2–3 p.m.

Sessions will be held in the Kule Theatre (9-323). More details will be provided closer to the dates.

Preparing your drives

Before moving your files, here are some steps you can take to prepare:

• Remove personal files like resumés, vacation photos/videos and files containing personal/private information. Your computer and university storage services is intended for MacEwan work files. Anything stored on our servers may be subject to inspection in accordance with the university’s Terms and Conditions.
  • Remove outdated/unnecessary files
  • Review file/folder names
    • Invalid characters in folder/file names (e.g., *, :, ?).
    • Files names or paths with more than 300 characters

For questions or concerns, contact the project team at FileMigration@macewan.ca.