Home » Student News

From SAMU: Exciting changes for student groups

Greetings MacEwan staff and faculty and students,

We are extremely excited to share information about the many changes that our clubs department has undergone over the last few months. First, we have made the transition from clubs to student groups.

As we are always striving to be better, it became clear that our department name was not reflective of who we really were and what we encompassed. It had also been noticed that this change had been occurring much more frequently on campuses across the country. There are a variety of student groups on campus, including grad committees, alliances, collectives, associations, fellowships and more. The department name change now better reflects us as a whole.

We also began the process of researching how to create better value for our student groups at the same time, leading to the launch of the SAMU Hub. The SAMU Hub is an online dashboard and new home for all things student groups. The Hub allows our staff and all student groups to become completely paperless, aligning with SAMU’s goals to improve our dedication to sustainability within the organization.

This program also brings a new level of ease to students looking to get involved in SAMU’s student groups. Students automatically have access to the platform via their MacEwan login, and joining a group is as simple as finding one on the list and requesting to join. The platform also conglomerates all the student group events to create a one-stop-shop for students to view the many events hosted by student groups throughout the year.

For more details, visit samu.ca/studentgroups or contact Maureen Workman, Student Groups Manager, at workmanm@macewan.ca.

Thank you,

The Students’ Association of MacEwan University (SAMU)