Home » Tech News

2019 IT security training program update

In 2018, the university launched an annual IT security awareness training program. This program was set up to help ensure that we all understand the university’s expectations of us with regard to IT security. While topics for 2019 remain largely the same, training materials have been refreshed.

Training is mandatory for the majority of staff and tenured, tenure-track, full-time limited-term, and sessional faculty. Employees must successfully complete the program to maintain in good standing for network access to university systems.

The schedule to complete training for 2019 has been modified to give groups up to six weeks to complete their training. Access for staff which started May 20, 2019 is now over. Access for faculty will start October 7, 2019.

If you are required to take the training, you will receive a notification email from InformationSecurity@macewan.ca with details about how to access the modules. Training is provided by SANS, a leader in information security training, certification and research.

After you receive your notification email, you will be able to access the program through a link on the landing page of the portal, which will direct you to the SANS website. Login to the site is secure and is part of the university’s single sign-on infrastructure.

If you have any technical questions about this program, please email InformationSecurity@macewan.ca. You can also learn more about IT security by visiting MacEwan.ca/ITSecurity.