Home » Media News Stories

Weekly media scan: May 27 to June 2

Faculty in the news

Daze Magazine – Inclusive Islam: How do we get through to Islamophobes? Dr. Junaid Jahangir, economics, wrote an op/ed about Islamophobes and Muslim homophobes

Star Metro – Experts alarmed as UCP government pulls support for group tracking conversion therapy in Alberta Dr. Junaid Jahangir, economics, was interviewed for this story.

CTV – MacEwan rolls out rainbow, trans-themed crosswalks

City TV – Conversion therapy gone? Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed for this story.

City TV – MacEwan celebrates Pride Month This clip is not available

Global TV – MacEwan raises rainbow and transgender flags This clip is not available

Global TV –Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about the UCP ending the conversion therapy working group. This clip is not available

Edmonton Journal – Clinical psychologist warns of dangers of high porn users Dr. Cory Hruska, psychology, was interviewed for this article.

General stories in the news

Bonnyville Nouvelle – Exploring the possibility of rural nursing programDiscussions are underway to possibly develop a rural nursing program in Bonnyville.

Global TV – Edmonton Youth Council says funding for mental health is lacking Third-year student, psychology, Anika Gahun was interviewed for this story.

CBC – How ‘high vibe’ women can inspire self-doubting teen girls Dr. Wanda Costen, dean, School of Business was one of the panel members at this event.

CBC – Cats fans feline fan at Edmonton festival This annual event is hosted at MacEwan University

Regina Leader Post – The purrfect Caturday: Feline lovers unite at the International Cat Festival This annual event is hosted at MacEwan University

Gateway – Marble pedestal: Campus beehives A feature on MacEwan’s rooftop beehives

Arts and culture in the news

Edmonton Journal – Jazz and Roots act Majorowicz and Marriner explore new musical horizons Sessional instructor Marty Majorowicz, Department of Music was interviewed for this feature.

Edmonton Journal – Danser, Garrett and Sinasacs among inductees into Blues Hall of Fame Kat Danser in an instructor in the Department of Music

Alumni in the news

The Guardian (UK) – Remote island beach plastics point to greater waste problem The lead researcher of this report, is Dr. Jennifer Lavers. She completed her first two years in the Faculty of Arts and Science before transferring to the U o A to complete her undergraduate degree.