Home » Media News Stories

Weekly Media Scan: March 11–17, 2019

Faculty in the News

Global TV – Alberta NDP working on legislation to strengthen public health system Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about this story.

CBC – New ‘vote anywhere’ legislation could delay some Alberta election results Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about this story.

Global TV – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about leaked emails from UCP members regarding Brian Jean.

Global TV – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about provincial politics.

VICE – NHL investigating after Toronto player appears to call ref a homophobic slur Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about this story.

VICE – NHL finds Morgan Rielly did not use homophobic slur Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about this story.
Toronto Star – Maple Leafs are right to speak out about a word that was never spoken Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about this story.

Edmonton Journal – School district leaders, caught in the middle, want more support for GSA law enforcement Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about this story.

The Varsity (University of Toronto student newspaper) – Meaningful education on Indigenous peoples and cultures must start at schools Dr. Emily Milne, sociology, had a portion of a previous research report cited in this article.

General Stories in the News

Global TV – Two students from MacEwan University’s Accounting Club appeared on Global morning news to promote their free tax clinic for students and low-income community members.

Star Edmonton – Student artist protests lack of gender-neutral bathrooms in MacEwan’s newest buildingsDavid Beharry was quoted in the article.

St. Albert Gazette – Bathroom art protest taken to the Max David Beharry was quoted in the article.

Red Deer Advocate – Central Alberta women recognized by Soroptimist International Alison MacLeod, a mental health advocate, and single mom of a four-year-old son, who is studying psychiatric nursing at MacEwan University is the winner of a $2,500 Live Your Dream Award.

Ladysmith Chronicle – VIU’s next president starts making connections on campus MacEwan University president and  vice chancellor, Deb Saucier, is featured in this article.

CBC – Edmonton Muslims react with horror in New Zealand Mosque attacks Irfan Chaudhry, director, Office of Human Rights, Diversity and Equity is quoted in this story.

Edmonton Journal – University of Alberta president David Turpin leaving in June 2020

CTV, Global TV, CBC TV, CBC Radio, CBC French – Two volunteer organizers of the Pride March were interviewed about the importance of Pride Week and the Pride March at the university. These clips are not available