Home » People

Leadership changes – Faculty of Nursing

Dear Colleagues,

Effective March 18, 2019, Dr. Vince Salyers has stepped away from his role as Dean of the Faculty of Nursing at MacEwan University. I am grateful to him for his contributions to the University’s administration over the past thirty months. Dr. Salyers remains Professor in the Faculty of Nursing, and I look forward to the work that he will do with us in this capacity, building further on his impressive academic accomplishments.

I met with Nursing Faculty Council yesterday afternoon to discuss with them the recruitment of a successor. In the meantime, we are fortunate that Sharon Hobden has agreed to serve as Interim Dean, continuing her long administrative tenure at MacEwan University. Recognizing that the Faculty requires specialized leadership because of regulatory demands, I am pleased that Dr. Cheryl Pollard is willing to expand further her portfolio and her responsibilities in her ongoing appointment as Associate Dean. Continuing the association between Nursing and the Faculty of Health and Community Studies, Dr. Fred McGinn, its Dean, has offered further assistance, as required.

With administrative terms, rigorous appointment and reappointment processes, term limits, and global competition for academic leaders, post-secondary institutions work in contemplation of change. I remain grateful to you all for your support as we, together, pursue the many opportunities connected to our recent change within the Post-Secondary Learning Act: refining our mandate as an “Undergraduate University” in Alberta’s “six sector” model for post-secondary education.

Dr. Craig Monk
Provost & Vice-President, Academic