Home » University News

Guidelines for political activity on campus

The provincial election has been called for April 16, 2019. MacEwan University is committed to the free expression of political views by members of the university community and to the value of discussion and debate as an essential part of contemporary education.

However, as a publicly-funded institution, it is also important that the university is – and is seen to be – apolitical in political campaigns, municipally, provincially and federally. If the university is perceived as partisan, there may be risks to relationships with government and community partners. If you have planned interactions with elected officials from any level of government, please share this information with the University Relations office to raise awareness about the activity and to seek advice when needed.

As employees of the university, we all have a responsibility to protect MacEwan’s reputation. The university has developed a set of guidelines to assist employees who are involved in, or are considering involvement in, political activities. These guidelines encompass:

• the use of university resources in connection with partisan political campaign activities;
  • employee involvement in partisan political activities in the workplace;
  • election campaigning on university property; and,
  • university-sanctioned political forums and debates.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at khanm83@macewan.ca.

Myrna Khan
Vice-President, University Relations