Home » Media News Stories

Media Scan: Dec. 18 – Jan. 6

Faculty in the News
CTV – Colin Babiuk, public relations, was interviewed about the Shaw Conference Centre changing its name to the Edmonton Convention Centre.

CTV – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about provincial politics and pipelines.

Globe and Mail – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about provincial politics.

Global TV – Roiled in oil: Alberta votes in 2019 as energy issues Dr. Chaldeans Mensah was interviewed about provincial politics.

Star Metro – Edmonton sees drop in homicides, but there’s no clear reason why: experts say Dr. Sandy Jung, psychology, was interviewed about the homicide and domestic violence rates in Edmonton.

Calgary Herald – LGBTQ advocates demand response from the Catholic diocese over ‘toxic’ environment in schools Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed for this article.

Gay Times Journal – Catholic priest tells children that the Pride Flag was designed by Satan Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about Catholic priest’s comments about the Pride Flag.

OUT Magazine – Catholic priest claims the Pride Flag was designed by Satan Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about Catholic priest’s comments about the Pride Flag.

LGBTQ Nation – This unhinged Catholic priest said that Satan created the rainbow flag Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about Catholic priest’s comments about the Pride Flag.

Instinct Magazine – Calgary priest: Rainbow Flag invented by Satan, represents ‘lawlessness’ and a ‘break from the natural order Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about Catholic priest’s comments about the Pride Flag.

Pink Magazine – Catholic priest says Pride Flag invented by Satan Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about Catholic priest’s comments about the Pride Flag.

Stairway to STEM – STEM, autism, and building professional relationships: Interview with a mentor Dr. Melike Schalomon, interim dean, Faculty of Arts and Science, is featured in this article.

General Stories in the News
Edmonton Journal – MacEwan University will look very different in 2044 Associate vice president, Stuart MacLean was interviewed about the 25-Year Campus Master Plan.

Academica Top Ten: MacEwan sets out to improve green space, buildings, transit in new master plan

University Affairs: MacEwan sets out to improve green spaces, buildings, transit in new master plan

CTV – Jacquie McLeod, director, Space Management, was interviewed about the university’s Campus Master Plan. This clip is not available

Calgary Herald – Pieces are falling into place for a downtown revival MacEwan University is mentioned in this opinion column because of its expansion.

Arts and Culture in the News
University Affairs – Celebrating the arts downtown Dr. Allan Gilliland, dean, Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications was interviewed about Allard Hall, in this feature about new arts buildings at post-secondary institutions.

Edmonton Journal – Assistant professor, Annetta Latham, was interviewed about innovative new ways theatre companies are promoting the productions.

BlouinArtinfo – Toronto theatre production of We Are Not Alone features a graduate of the musical theatre program, Damien Atkins.

Griffins in the News
St. Albert Gazette – The sporting life of basketball standout for MacEwan Griffins winding down for Kayla Ivicak.