Home » Media News Stories

Media Scan: Dec. 11 – 16

Faculty in the News

Calgary Herald – Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about Calgary’s Catholic School teachers who have to sign a values contract implying no same-sex relationships.

Vancouver Sun – Alberta Catholic School Board had teachers sign forms barring them from same-sex relationships.Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies was interviewed about this story.

Edmonton Journal – Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about Red Deer Catholic School teachers that being in a same-sex marriage breaches their contract.

CBC – Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about ‘conversion therapy’ in Alberta.

Global TV – LGBTQ teachers allege discriminatory hiring practices in Alberta Catholic schools Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed for this story.

CTV – Minister to review Catholic School contracts after complaints of ‘Catholicity clause’
Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed for this story

CHQR 770 – Dr. Kris Wells, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed by Danielle Smith about LGBTQ issues and the Catholic School District in Calgary about discriminatory hiring practices.

Catholic News Agency – Dr. Kris Wells, faculty of Health and Community Studies, was interviewed about a former Calgary principal who says she was pushed out due to discrimination on religious, marital, and anti-LGBTQ grounds.

Global TV – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, was interviewed about the “yellow vest” rally in Edmonton, supporting the oil and gas industry.

Alberta Primetime – Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science, appeared on a panel discussion about provincial politics. This clip is not available

CTV – Colin Babiuk, public relations, commented on a real estate agent’s dinosaur prop used to sell a house.

General Stories in the News

Edmonton Journal – Opinion: Time Person of the Year fights for freedom of the press
Dr. Rey Rosales, Bachelor of Communication Studies, wrote an op/ed about Maria Ressa, who was a visiting lecturer at MacEwan University in 2016.

Arts and Culture in the News

Edmonton Journal – Master Montreal choreographer Paul-Andre Fortier makes his final performance in the Theatre Lab in Allard Hall.

Gig City – Solo 70, the new creative dance show, by the Brian Webb dance Company in the Theatre Lab in Allard Hall is featured.

St. Albert Gazette – A Funky Tap Christmas taking place at MacEwan University’s Allard Hall Lab Theatre.