Home » Media News Stories

MacEwan in the news: January 29-February 11

Print/Online

Edmonton Journal
Prime minister to hold town hall Thursday at MacEwan University

Edmonton Examiner
Filmmaker: Edmontonians are the source for action
“Taking bold action starts with making local change,” said Kantayya, who is taking part in the Images of Climate Change series presented by the city, University of Alberta and MacEwan University.

Edmonton Examiner
MacEwan University professor Kevin Judge digs into the sordid love life of the hump-winged grig and how changes in the environment affects it
Kevin Judge, biological sceinces, is studying how human intervention in the environment may affect the mating habits of certain insects.

Edmonton Sun
Knee injury does not derail Griffins setter Kylie Schubert
Kylie Schubert had to wait seven games this season before stepping on to the court for the MacEwan Griffins volleyball team, but that didn’t bother her one bit.

Metro
MacEwan student lauded for research on ending sexual violence
Charisse Steward wrote a paper based on her uncomfortable experience at a Las Vegas male strip show

Multiple outlets
All local media outlets promoted the Prime Minister’sTown Hall at MacEwan University

Edmonton Journal
REVIEW: Information tsunami at the centre of new MacEwan production at Theatre Lab
Love and Information is the latest play from the theatre department at MacEwan University, playing in the Theatre Lab at Allard Hall.

Edmonton Journal
Provincial student council calls on Alberta government to freeze international tuition fees
In late 2016, the University of Alberta agreed to a 3.02 per cent increase for the 2017-18 academic year and MacEwan University agreed to a 10 per cent increase for the same period, followed by a five-per-cent increase in 2018-19.

Edmonton Examiner
Griffin stresses importance of #BellLetsTalk day
Depression first struck Kristen Monfort-Palomino nearly five years ago in her first year of college.

Metro
Not all negative:’ Alberta Muslims proudly don hijab while hate crime reports trend down
Irfan Chaudhry, a criminology instructor at MacEwan University in Edmonton, said women who wear a hijab, or those who wear their religion visibly, are more likely to face hate crimes.

Metro
‘We really just want to help’: Local business students start homeless care package project
Five business students out of MacEwan University have started Bundles of Hope, a non-profit project that plans to offer care packages containing $5 worth of necessities to the city’s homeless.

Metro
What’s in the box? MacEwan University getting mysterious packages from Amazon
Students’ Association has received more than 10 items, including a record player and a yoga mat, but nobody knows who sent them

Metro
‘Pretty precarious situation’: University students campaign for predictable tuition
The Council of Alberta University Students launched a campaign this week to push for a long-term solution to fee uncertainties

Edmonton Journal
Saxophonist plays conversational analogy for would-be improvisers
With a couple of recordings of his own, Head now happens to be section head for guitar at MacEwan.

Edmonton Journal
Researcher investigates graphic design elements of traditional caribou coats
In her fourth year of the research, and having studied about half of the estimated 175 coats in collections around the world, the assistant professor in the design studies program at MacEwan University now wants to take what she has observed back to Innu, Naskapi and Cree communities in Eastern Canada.

Edmonton Journal
He made his mark everywhere he went’: Tommy Banks helped push Edmonton and its arts scene to new heights

TV

Alberta Primetime
Rediscovering basketball amid depression
Her depression kicked into high gear when her father left the family and moved to Ontario.

Radio

TSN 1260
Women’s basketball seniors Paige Knull and Kerilynn MacLennan were on The Basketball Show on TSN 1260 radio last Saturday.
This clip is not available.