Home » Media News Stories

MacEwan in the news: Nov. 20-Dec. 1

Print/Online

Edmonton Journal
Police deem death of MacEwan student found near railroad tracks non-criminal
“We are extremely distressed by the news of the loss of one of our students,” said university President Deborah Saucier. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the student’s family and friends who are dealing with this tragic event.

Edmonton Examiner
Campus Chronicle: Hoops season heats up at halfway point
An update on how the Griffins basketball and hockey teams are doing half way into the season.

Edmonton Journal
Tony Award-winning musical comedy Sister Act comes to the stage as part of this season’s productions by MacEwan University

Edmonton Examiner
MacEwan profs adding Indigenous perspectives to curriculum
Efforts to include Indigenous people’s teachings and history in classes across MacEwan have, so far, been piecemeal.

Edmonton Journal
Top 10 Things to do in Edmonton
MacEwan University kicks off the first two shows of the 2017/2018 season with performances by the MacEwan Big Bands and Showcase Bands.

Metro
This is What it Feels Like’: Immersive catcalling exhibit hitting Edmonton universities this weekend
It will also be set up at MacEwan University’s Griffins’ Landing on Monday between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The public is welcome to attend.

Edmonton Journal
Alberta tuition freeze continues next year, government commits $17 million in backfill
In December, the U of A increased international tuition by 3.02 per cent and MacEwan increased its by 15 per cent over two academic years. At the time, both universities defended the increases.

St. Albert Gazette
MacEwan University’s Faculty of Fine Arts and Communication gears up for an action-packed season at the new Allard Hall with Sister Act, the Broadway version of Whoopi Goldberg’s 1992 hit film of the same name

Vue Weekly
Musician Paul Shihadeh talks Cirque du Soleil and his collaborative holiday performance
During the ‘90s, Shihadeh took a job at MacEwan University as head of the bass department

12th Night
Nuns get down, and raise your spirits: Sister Act at MacEwan’s snazzy new theatre
There’s something pretty sweet about christening a new theatre with a musical that includes an all-inclusive singing benediction like the one you’ll hear in Act II of Sister Act.

Huffington Post
The Problem in Islam Is Not Accented Uncles but Fluent Young Muslims
Dr. Junaid Jahangir submitted this op/ed feature to the Huffington Post

Huffington Post
There Is No Slippery Slope From Same-Sex Unions To Bestiality And Incest

TV/Radio

CTV
Colin Babiuk, Public Relations was interviewed about the Edmonton Eskimos potential name change.

CBC
MacEwan University students join bone marrow donor list for 12-year-old in in need of transplant
MacEwan University students are stepping up to help to help a 12-year-old girl find a bone marrow donor.

City TV
Dr. Chaldeans Mensah, political science was interviewed about provincial politics.

CBC
Distinguished Alumni recipient Jason Carter is interviewed about his award.
Clip starts at 9:42 of the broadcast