Home » Student News

Arts and music awards available

The Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre (URDC) is calling for applications for the five arts and music awards briefly described below.

The application deadline is November 30.

The Alberta Council for the Ukrainian Arts (ACUA) Award ($500) is offered annually for a project that fosters a greater awareness of Ukrainian art in Alberta. This project may be in the form of an exhibit, tour, festival, educational program or special project.

The Roman Soltykewych Music Scholarship ($750) is available to applicants (individual or group) determined to pursue further studies in the field of Ukrainian choral or vocal music.

The Serge Eremenko Music Award ($500) is available annually to any qualified applicant (individual or group) planning to pursue further studies in the field of Ukrainian music. Courses of study or workshops, in progress or recently completed, will be considered.

The Anna Pidruchney Award for Young Writers ($1,200) is available annually to a writer for a work that includes Ukrainian Canadian content (i.e., subject matter, theme, character or settings. The Ukrainian Canadian content may be from any historical period or country). Previous recipients of this award are not eligible. Two awards are available for 2017.

The Ukrainian Millennium Foundation Awards ($1,000) — the Ukraine Millennium Foundation, whose mandate is to promote Ukrainian music in Alberta, would like to encourage students and the general public to pursue and develop their interest in the field of Ukrainian music.

• Eligibility criteria: To be considered for these awards, the candidates must:
    • Be enrolled in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications at MacEwan.
    • One award will be given to a student who has shown an interest and made advancement in Ukrainian music research; one award will be given to a student who has shown an interest and made advancement in Ukrainian music performance and recording; one award will be given to a student who has shown an interest and made advancement in composition of musical works based on Ukrainian themes.
    • Preference for the awards will be given to the student with the highest grades

Number of awards: Three a year for 10 years. Six awards are available for 2017/18.

Application process: Students must submit the online application form.

Get awards application forms/fact sheets at MacEwan.ca/URDC.

Contact:

Yuri Konkin, director, Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre
Phone: 780-497-4373
Email: konkiny@macewan.ca