Home » Student News

MacEwan journalism student wins national feature writing award

Fourth-year journalism student Lucas Provencher has won first place in the written word category of the Emerge Media Awards.

Lucas won for his feature story, “Point and Shoot: How Public Shaming Came Back into Fashion on the Prairies,” published in the 2016 edition of The Scavenger, the annual, online general-interest magazine of the BCSC 422 feature writing class.

His story explores the ethical issues and social consequences of the loose-knit vigilante group, Creep Catchers, whose members take it upon themselves to track down and expose alleged pedophiles.
This is the third year for the EMAs, the third year for The Scavenger, the fourth time our students’ material has been in the running for the written word award, and our second win.
Last year, Riyah Lakhani’s “A Refugee’s Tale” and Tamanna Khurana’s “The Struggle for the Soul of Alberta Avenue” were nominated in this category, and Lakhani’s piece was named runner-up. Two years ago, the first written word EMA was won by “Meet the People Behind Canada’s Death Revolution,” by Nikki Wiart, who has since gone on to earn a Master of Journalism degree from Carleton University in Ottawa..
Administered by the University of Guelph-Humber and adjudicated by industry professionals, the EMAs celebrate and showcase the achievements of journalism, media studies and communication students from across the country.The awards were handed out Monday, April 24, at the EMA dinner and ceremony at Humber College in Toronto.