Home » University News

Ramadan 2020

The month of Ramadan will begin on the evening of Thursday, April 23 and end on the evening of Saturday, May 23. Ramadan involves a daily period of fasting for Muslims starting at sunrise and finishing at sunset over the month. While fasting is an important part of Ramadan, it is also a time of self-reflection and self-evaluation.

This year will be very different for faculty, staff and students who may observe fasting during Ramadan. Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, access to quiet rooms and multi-faith spaces (both internally and externally) have been largely suspended. These restrictions may have an impact on well-being during an already difficult period. Accommodating religious belief and practices during Ramadan is about being responsive to the needs of our faculty, staff and students. Offering flexibility around working and study patterns or break periods are all things that can be considered.

Faculty, staff and students should also be aware of health considerations related to fasting, so that they are able to make more informed choices, minimize complications and maximize the benefit of their fast as well as operational effectiveness. Those who are ill with COVID-19 won’t be able to take part in daily fasting, as fasting is not compulsory, or advisable for anyone who is ill or has a medical condition.

Should you have any questions about Ramadan or accommodating faculty, staff and students, please email HumanRights@macewan.ca.