Home » COVID-19 Updates

Using video conferencing while working remotely

Working remotely doesn’t mean being out of touch. Video conferencing (or audio only) when paired with shared documents or screen sharing can be just as effective, if not more so, than working together in the same room. MacEwan University currently supports four different tools. Here’s how you can use them to connect with your colleagues and your students:

Connecting with staff and faculty:

Microsoft Teams: You’re already using the chat function with other MacEwan people, right? Just one click and you can turn that chat into a video call or easily schedule an appointment that includes a video link. When you’re creating a new meeting or editing an existing one in Outlook, you can easily add video conferencing features — just click on the Teams Meeting icon and video call information will be added to your meeting and sent to participants. For more information and resources, visit Tech Support at myportal.macewan.ca.

Connecting with students:

Collaborate (part of BlackBoard): Used by faculty to support online learning. The BlackBoard team has a lot of resources available. See their page: Getting Online Quickly: Information for Faculty.

Webex Meetings: Webex is a great tool you can use to connect with students that also provides some extra features (e.g. recording, muting participants, etc) and syncs with your Outlook calendar and provides local dial-in numbers for meetings so participants without microphones can join.

Google Hangouts Meet: A great tool to use for communication or in conjunction with scheduling online office hours.

Connecting with people outside MacEwan:

Webex Meetings: Allows you to include people outside of the MacEwan organization and provides some extra features (e.g. recording, muting participants, etc). Also syncs with your Outlook calendar and provides local dial-in numbers for meetings so participants without microphones can join.

Not all tools have the same functionality and some may be more appropriate than others depending on your needs.

For more information look at the COVID-19 resources under Tech Support in the portal.