Home » University News

New dean of Faculty of Arts and Science

I am pleased to announce that, after an extensive, national search conducted through Knightsbridge Robertson Surrette, Dr. Melike Schalomon has been appointed as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science for an initial, five-year term, effective July 1, 2020.

Dr. Schalomon has been with MacEwan since 1996 and has distinguished herself in teaching and in research. Her extensive publication record in Neuroscience has often involved co-authorship with student collaborators, and she was awarded MacEwan University’s Distinguished Teaching Award in 2010.

She is an accomplished administrator, having served as Department Chair, Associate Dean, and, during 2018-19, Interim Dean of the Faculty. She will hold a concurrent appointment as Professor in the Department of Psychology.

Dr. Edvard Lorkovic will continue as Interim Dean in advance of taking his scheduled leave later this spring. I am grateful to Dr. Lorkovic for his exemplary work and his many longstanding contributions to MacEwan University. I will work with members of the Dean’s Office in the Faculty of Arts and Science to facilitate transition between now and the beginning of Dr. Schalomon’s term.

I wish to thank the many members of the MacEwan University community who participated in a search process that began more than nine months ago. Please allow me to acknowledge, in particular, the work of Robyn Hall, Dr. Melissa Hills, Lee-Ann Jeffrey, Dr. Fred McGinn, Dr. Hugh McKenzie, Dr. Susan Mills, Sean Waddingham, and Dr. Lynn Wells for their work on the recommendation committee, as well as to acknowledge the members of the Provost’s Office who managed this process.

Dr. Craig Monk
Provost & Vice-President, Academic
Vice-Chancellor