Home » Events

Indigenous Birthing Practices Film Screening

The Mitchell Art Gallery has partnered with Ociciwan Contemporary Art Collective to present a series of short films exploring Indigenous birthing practices on Sunday, January 20 at 1:30 p.m. at the Betty Andrews Recital Hall. Ociciwan has curated this trio of films by The Ephemerals, Jules Koostachin, and Rebeka Tabobondung, as well as a panel discussion on the revitalization of Indigenous birthing practices.

The panel discussion after the screening features filmmakers and members of the Indigenous Birthing Collective of Alberta, moderated by core member Tiffany Shaw-Collinge. They will discuss these traditions and how we can support Indigenous women in their journey of motherhood.

After the panel there will be time to talk with other attendees, the artists present, Indigenous Birthing Collective of Alberta, and Ociciwan about the resurgence of Indigenous birthing practices. Light refreshments will be served.

In order to reach as many people as possible to share these touching stories of traditional birthing practices, there will be extended screenings, for free, at the Mitchell Art Gallery in the atrium of Allard Hall until March 31.

Both the screening and panel discussion are free to attend.

Sunday, January 20, 1:30 p.m.
Betty Andrews Recital Hall (Allard Hall)