Home » Employee Info

4 ways MacEwan can help you keep your 2019 work-life resolutions

We’ve all been there — the start of a new year, pen in hand, writing a well-intentioned list of resolutions.

Though it can be motivating to make goals, it’s easy to get discouraged when day-to-day life gets in the way of accomplishing them. That’s why we want to share a few ways MacEwan can help you keep your 2019 work-life resolutions:

1. Access your University Learning Activities Fund
Whether you’ve resolved to relearn a forgotten hobby or want to try something new, eligible MacEwan employees have access to up to $1,100 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) to cover tuition fees for credit courses, certain Continuing Education courses or programs at the Conservatory of Music

Learn more.

2. Discover Sport and Wellness
Getting active is a common resolution, but it doesn’t necessarily only mean hitting the gym. You can receive a discounted, employee-rate membership to the Christenson Centre for Sport and Wellness, which includes not only the fitness centre, but the pool, gymnasium and steam room. While the Access to University Learning Activities Fund cannot be put towards the fitness membership, it can be used for employee-only programs like yoga and pilates classes or personal training sessions.

3. Take care of your mental health
Watch for a new workshop coming in 2019! The Working Mind workshop was created with staff and faculty in mind, and focuses on resources to maintain positive mental health and resiliency. It aims to increase awareness of mental health and reduce stigma around mental illnesses. The first session will be on January 31. Keep your eye on the MacEwan Life site for registration info.

And if you ever find yourself needing assistance, make sure to use the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP). You can access short-term, professional and confidential counselling for you and your immediate family members at no cost. Learn more.

4. Access your Career Development Fund
Finally, if you’re looking to learn new skills relevant to your role here at MacEwan, continuing MSA employees can receive up to $750 per fiscal year for tuition, conference registration or workshop fees. MSA employees may also access In-Service sessions, a variety of professional development courses with fees covered by MSA. Out of Scope Employees may receive support through department professional development budgets.

Faculty have access to their own professional development fund.

Information on all of the funds and programs mentioned above (and how to access them) is available on myPortal.MacEwan.ca.