Home » Campus Services

MacEwan launches ticketless parkade access for staff and students

Transportation Services is making it easier than ever for staff and students to access parking on campus. Parking Services has installed a new, ticketless system that will allow patrons to zip in and out of the parkades without swiping an access card. It’s called ZipBy and it logs you in and out using your phone.

“MacEwan University is actually the first Canadian site to roll out ZipBy, which tracks your parking entry and exits by picking up your phone signal,” says Transportation Services coordinator Jim MacDonald, adding the ticketless system actually hails from Australia. “This is the future of parking. For the most part, everybody has a phone and this provides a great payment option and ease of access in and out of our parkades.”

After a lengthy testing period, the new system is now available as a pilot to MacEwan University staff, students and the community starting August 1.

New daily and hourly parking patrons in City Centre and West Parkades will be able to sign up for ZipBy access starting today, and the system will be expanded to include existing parking patrons, as well as additional parkades in the near future. Staff and students signing up for monthly parking for Fall/Winter terms will receive an email from Transportation Services providing ZipBy instructions.

“As patrons register for parking they’ll be prompted to sign up for ZipBy through a separate email,” says MacDonald, adding there are no additional fees associated with signing up. “It’s easy to sign up for an account and it works for both Apple and Android users.”

For more information about ZipBy or other Transportation Services, you can contact 780-497-5875 or parking@macewan.ca.