Home » University News

Update on August 2017 phishing incident

Message from the president:

We recently received news that the university has concluded legal proceedings related to the August 2017 phishing incident.

The university recovered $10.92 million of the $11.8 million that was stolen. The recovery of such a large percentage of the funds is very good news for MacEwan and a significant step forward in bringing this incident to a close.

I would like to express my appreciation to the many individuals and organizations that worked so diligently to guide the university through the response to and recovery from the fraud: our internal team, legal counsel in several jurisdictions, fraud units at the banks involved in the transactions, and law enforcement agencies. It is because of their dedication and tenacity that we were able to recover such a large percentage of the stolen funds.

We have learned some difficult lessons over the past several months, but I believe we emerge a stronger institution because of them.

New financial controls are in place to prevent incidents like this from occurring in the future, and we have taken—and will continue to take—steps to heighten awareness about and prevention of online fraud within our own university, and beyond.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you—our students, faculty, staff and the entire extended MacEwan community—for your continued support as we worked through this complex and difficult time.

Deborah Saucier
President