Home » University News

Conflict of interest amendments – Join a focus group

On December 15, 2017 the university became subject to the Conflicts of Interest Amendment Act, 2017. This act requires the university to make a number of changes to our Conflict of Interest and Commitment Policy, including restrictions or limitations on gifts and concurrent employment.

A further requirement is to submit our Code of Conduct and a draft Conflict of Interest and Commitment Policy for review by the Ethics Commissioner by April 30, 2018.

Human Resources will be holding focus groups to hear faculty and staff perspectives on key policy elements:

Schedule
1. Stakeholders and Impartiality                                  February 13, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Rm. 10-685
2. Furthering Private Interests                                     February 16, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Rm. 10-685
3. Disclosure                                                                March 1, 1 – 4 p.m., Rm. 10-685
4. Concurrent Appointments & Nepotism                    March 5, 1 – 4 p.m., Rm. 10-685
5. Gifts                                                                         March 6, 1 – 4 p.m., Rm. 10-685

If you would like to participate, please contact Danielle Richir at RichirD@MacEwan.ca and indicate:

• Which session(s) you would like to attend
  • Whether you are a member of MSA, FA or are OOS
  • Your employment type (e.g., full time continuing, sessional, etc.)
  • Your faculty or department

Since the initial consultation period is necessarily short and we want to ensure that the focus groups include a diverse cross section of MacEwan University faculty and staff, there may not be room for all interested participants. There will be additional opportunities to provide feedback prior to implementation in April 2019.

Download the Conflicts of Interest Act At a Glance document or visit alberta.ca/public-agencies.aspx for more information about the new requirements for public agencies.