Home » University News

New 2015/16 Academic Schedule

On December 18, the MacEwan University Board of Governors approved the 2015/16 Academic Schedule, which was recommended to the board at a special meeting of Academic Governance Council held on December 11. The Academic Schedule is different in a number of ways and has been formatted differently to signal these changes.

Calendar2015-2016AcademicScheduleV2_Page_1The Fall session starts on a Tuesday, with New Student Orientation (NSO), and classes starting the following day. The 13-week instructional period, which ends on a Friday, is followed by a nine-day exam period. The Fall and Winter exam periods begin the Monday following the end of classes, creating a two-day break. Exams end the Wednesday of the following week. Classes without final exams may be scheduled into the exam period.

The Drop/Add deadline is the second Friday of the Fall and Winter regular sessions. For Fall 2015, this adds two days for students to sort out their final class selections. The fee payment deadline will be at the end of the first month of classes.

The withdrawal date, or “W” date, is now the last day of classes. This effectively eliminates the need for a “Withdraw Failing” or “WF” grade. With the longer drop/add period and the later withdrawal deadline, the 50 per cent tuition refund previously available from the end of drop/add to the end of the first month of the session will disappear entirely.

In January 2016, regular session classes will start on Wednesday, January 6. A slight change to the rule used to determine the start date means a better start of classes date in January in the years to come.

The Spring/Summer term has a one-month May session, a two-month spring session, a one-month July session, a two-month Summer session, and a four-month regular Spring/Summer session, for a total of five fixed-date sessions. These fixed-date sessions cover over 80 per cent of the classes currently offered in the Spring/Summer term.

Non-standard sessions, currently known as “variable sessions,” accommodate exceptions that cannot be accommodated in, or benefit from, one of the seven regular sessions across the three four-month terms.